The South African Road Passenger Bargaining Council says efforts to resolve the bus drivers’ strike will continue after the long weekend.
Talks between employers and unions broke down again last week.
An intervention by Commission for Conciliation, Mediation and Arbitration (CCMA) and government yielded no settlement either, forcing commuters to continue making alternative arrangements as the long weekend wraps up.
At least 16 000 bus drivers have downed tools, demanding a 12% increase. They have now been given an ultimatum to accept the revised offer of 8% by Wednesday.
This is as unions have recently revised their offer to 9.5% for the first year, and 8.5% the following year.
Employers are sticking to their 8% final offer.
Despite the no work no pay policy applying, drivers say they won’t go back to work until their demands are met.
The Bargaining Council says talks are still underway.
Related video click below: