The Kenya Red Cross says 50 people believed to have been in a hotel and office complex that was attacked by gunmen in Nairobi, are still unaccounted for. So far, 14 people have been confirmed dead.
Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta said Wednesday that gunmen who stormed a luxury hotel complex, killing 14 people, had been “eliminated” after an almost 20-hour operation in which hundreds of civilians were rescued.
More than 12 hours after the assault began at Nairobi’s upscale 14 Riverside Drive complex, bursts of gunfire and blasts were heard in the area, undermining government assurances everything was under control.
The Al-Shabaab group in Somalia on Tuesday claimed responsibility for an ongoing attack in the Kenyan capital, according to the SITE Intelligence Group which monitors jihadist activities.
Officials in Kenya say two explosions coupled with gunfire have been heard at an upmarket hotel and office complex in the capital Nairobi.