The Kenya Red Cross says 50 people believed to have been in a hotel and office complex that was attacked by gunmen in Nairobi, are still unaccounted for. So far, 14 people have been confirmed dead.
Kenya’s President Uhuru Kenyatta says his country will not allow terrorists to derail its efforts to build a secure and prosperous nation.
More than 12 hours after the assault began at Nairobi’s upscale 14 Riverside Drive complex, bursts of gunfire and blasts were heard in the area, undermining government assurances everything was under control.
Special operations troops are among those deployed to the Dusit hotel and office precinct where the surviving militants are apparently still hiding.
The Al-Shabaab group in Somalia on Tuesday claimed responsibility for an ongoing attack in the Kenyan capital, according to the SITE Intelligence Group which monitors jihadist activities.