The funeral service of the legendary stage and screen actress, Shaleen Surtie-Richards, has been held at Durbanville Memorial Park in Cape Town. The 66-year-old died at a guest house in Cape Town on Monday.
Flags across the Western Cape have been flying at half-mast after President Cyril Ramaphosa announced earlier this week that the actress will be given an official provincial funeral.
Funeral of the late Shaleen Surtie-Richards:
Speaking at the funeral service, Sports, Arts and Culture Minister Nathi Mthethwa says she will be missed by the entire country.
“We have been in touch with the family since the demise of Ms Richards, their loss is actually our loss. We feel that this is our sister, the sister of the nation and what they must know is that they are not alone in the mourning, government and the people of South Africa you would have seen how they reacted,” says Mthethwa.
Actress Shaleen Surtie-Richards to be laid to rest on Sunday: