SuperSport United miss out on maiden CAF championship title

Reading Time: 2 minutes

SuperSport United were unable to claim their first African trophy as they were held 0-0 by DRC giants TP Mazembe in the second leg of the Caf Confederation Cup final on Saturday night.

The result at the Lucas Moripe Stadium in Tshwane allowed the Ravens to claim a 2-1 aggregate triumph and defend the prize they won for the first time last year.

Mazembe began strongly and looked to take the game to United rather than sit back and defend their lead. Their positive attitude should have paid dividends in the 10th minute when Rainford Kalaba sprung the offside trap, but faced with only the goalkeeper to beat he struck his shot wildly over the target.

Four minutes later Kalaba did some fine work down the left flank to get to the byline and pull a dangerous ball back, but Daniel Nii Adjei somehow shot wide of the near post when it seemed easier to score.

United took some time to get a foothold in the game, but it was a sign of their growing strength that they had a goal ruled out – correctly – for offside just before the half hour mark, as Tefu Mashamaite found the net with a diving header from Dean Furman’s cross.

The hosts made a change at the start of the second half, as they introduced Grant Kekana in place of the injured Siyabonga Nhlapo, and they created the first clear chance after the restart when a corner kick was flicked on by Clayton Daniels and just missed by both Mashamaite and Bradley Grobler.

SuperSport dominated the majority of the second half, but on a wet, heavy pitch they struggled to create openings. In fact, their first shot on target only arrived in the 73rd minute when substitute Dove Wome saw his effort easily saved by Sylvain Gbouhouo.

Mazembe were reduced to 10 men in the 82nd minute when defender Chongo Kabaso picked up a second yellow card in quick succession and was sent for an early shower, yet United ‘levelled’ the game to 10 v 10 when Thuso Phala was shown a straight red in the final minute of regulation time for a studs-up challenge.

It proved to be the last major flashpoint as the game ended 0-0 and Mazembe were justly rewarded for a superb defensive performance.