Sundowns open five point lead

Reading Time: 3 minutes

Mamelodi Sundowns have opened up a five point lead at the top of the table, after beating Maritzburg United by 1 goal to nil in an ABSA Premiership match at Loftus Versfeld Wednesday night.

Neighbours SuperSport United’s winless streak has gone on to three matches.

They lost 1 nil to Free State Stars in Bethlehem.

Maritzburg United went to Loftus Versfeld with one thing in mind – to make sure Sundowns danger man Percy Tau is properly marked. Maritzburg were all over him, kicking him to pieces.

The homeside’s opening chance was from a header by skillful Themba Zwane, before captain Hlompho Kekana tried one of his trademark shots that was well saved by the Maritzburg keeper.

The teams went into the break goalless.

Tau then got on the scoresheet after he was sent through by skipper Kekana. He grabbed his opportunity and scored the goal that handed Sundowns the three points against a stubborn Maritzburg team.

Pitso Mosimane Mamelodi Sundowns coach says: “Consistency, maturity, one game at a time games like this you got to manage them you don’t have to be nice and flashy and dribbling. Some people were asking for attackers, I always put attackers but tonight I put defenders.”

Meanwhile, neighbours SuperSport United look like a team haunted by their CAF Confederation loss to TP Mazembe.

They are currently on a three match winless run. Free State Stars beat them by a single goal.

Stars had the better chances on the night and opened the scoring through a beautiful counter attack.
Siphelele Mthembu put the ball in the net after a pin-point cross from Patrick Phungwayo.

They nearly scored again when Dlamini forced Reyaard Pieters into a fine save.

SuperSport United also had opportunities, but prolific striker Jeremy Brockie fluffed his shot in the six yard area.

Stars finished the match with 10 players after left back Phungwayo was shown a red card for a dangerous tackle.

United nearly scored at the death when the striking duo of Brockie and Grobelaar missed their team’s last chance of the match

Luc Eymael Free State Stars coach says: “We created a lot of chances; we had four or five chances in the first half. The keeper had two brilliant saves we missed one chance. We scored one and in the second half in the counter attack we should’ve scored minimum one or two goals again we didn’t make a good choice to play the ball in the small net but finally we got the three points.”

Eric Tinkler SuperSport United coach says: “First half we were simply not the best to be honest and the formation obviously didn’t work, they hurt us, they caught us, they got the goal possibly even could’ve got the second. Second half obviously we made changes, it got better but I think we could’ve played another 90 we wouldn’t have scored anything tonight.”

The last matches of 2017 will be played over the weekend.