A United Nations report says two-thirds of the South Sudanese population or around seven million people could face severe food insecurity in the coming months without sustained humanitarian assistance and access.
Concerns have also been raised in the report of a return to famine like conditions, placing over 150 000 people including almost 30 000 children in immediate risk.
The world’s youngest country finds itself in the midst of a four year civil war and multiple failed ceasefires and peace deals.
The Secretary General’s Spokesperson, Stephane Dujarric says the period of great risk will be the lean season between May and July.
Particularly at risk, 155 000 people including 29 000 children who will suffer from the most extreme levels of hunger.
In January 5.3 million people or nearly half the population were already struggling to find enough food each day and were in crisis or emergency level of food insecurity.
This represents a 40% increase of severely food insecure people compared to January 2017.
Dujarric says improved access and a massive humanitarian response succeeded in averting and containing famine last year however despite this, the food insecurity outlook has never been as dire as it is now.
“Our colleagues warn that progress made to prevent people from dying from hunger could be undone and more people than ever could be pushed into severe hunger or famine like conditions,” adds Dujarric.