South Africans can expect a weekend of stage one rolling blackouts after Eskom scrapped stage two because of lower weekend demand for power.
The power utility says blackouts will continue at stage one until 5am on Monday morning.
Eskom Spokesperson, Sikhonathi Mantshantsha, has urged the public to continue using electricity sparingly.
Video: Eskom continues to struggle with its aging power stations, economists raise concerns
Earlier this week, President Cyril Ramaphosa assured South Africans that the government was doing everything within its means to ensure that rolling blackouts soon become a thing of the past.
In his weekly letter to the nation, Ramaphosa said this will be done through steadily addressing the problems at Eskom as well as building substantial new energy generation capacity.
Ramaphosa added that Eskom was forging ahead with its maintenance programme and correcting design defects at the Kusile and Medupi power plants.
The power utility is also decommissioning old power stations that have reached the end of their design life and repurposing others to use cleaner energy sources.