The South African government has confirmed that a citizen working in Libya as a paramedic has been kidnapped and taken hostage by unknown people. International Relations spokesperson Nelson Kgwete says a South African man had been held hostage since Friday with two other people who’s nationality is unclear at this stage.
Kgwete says the motive for the kidnapping is unknown. He says the South African embassy is working with the Libyian authorities to ensure the safe release of the hostages. “The South African citizen was with other citizens believed to be from other foreign countries like, Turkey when the kidnapping happened. We don’t what the motive is. Leads are being followed and our embassy there will provide us with a report once they’ve interacted with the Libyians and ensure that they locate the kidnapped citizens as well as the what the motive is behind the kidnapping.”
Watch video below: