Metrorail says passenger train services in the central area of Cape Town have again been temporarily grounded due to cable theft. Spokesperson, Riana Scott, says more than 730 meters of overhead wire was stolen in the Bonteheuwel and Nyanga area.
Last week two of the three corridors in the central area also had to be suspended due to power cables being vandalised.
Scott says no trains are currently able to operate between Cape Town and Chris Hani/Kapteinsklip
“Chris Hani and Kapteinsklip commuters are advised to make alternative transport arrangements to and from Cape Town until we able to restore the service. The Sarepta service is unaffected and trains are operating as normal. We will continue to advise our customers regularly on the service and the prognosis for recovery via our regional passenger information channels,” expressed Scott.
Earlier on Monday, Passenger Rail Agency of South Africa (Prasa) announced that for the first time cable thieves will face economic sabotage charges and not theft. The organisation expressed that it has been pushing for this for some time and now that the law is in place, they will be attending a court case of a recently apprehended syndicate.
Prasa Acting CEO Nkosinathi Sishi said they apprehended a group that was well resourced near Midrand, north of Johannesburg. Police also confiscated their vehicles and equipment.