African National Congress (ANC) veteran and businessman Tokyo Sexwale will address the media on Thursday afternoon at a venue yet to be announced.

This comes after he found himself topping social media’s trending list this week following his claims about billions of rand had been stolen from the Heritage Fund.

Reaction from Twitter:

Sexwale said the money was meant to help poor students with free education and fight against the COVID-19 pandemic.

He said he was one of the two people in charge of the fund, together with what he called a “very powerful family”.

According to Sexwale, the money came through the South Africa Reserve Bank (SARB).

Scam

The Reserve Bank has described Sexwale’s allegations as unfounded and says it is a scam.

It says over the years, National Treasury and the SARB have received many such requests for, or promises of billions (and now trillions) of rands or dollars, and from experience regard these as scams.

Below is the full statement: