African National Congress National Executive Committee member and deputy minister of State Security Zizi Kodwa says ANC veteran, Tokyo Sexwale might have fallen victim to a sophisticated network of scammers and information paddlers.
Kodwa weighed in on the utterances made by Sexwale, alleging that the money held in the White Spiritual Boy Trust fund had been stolen.
Sexwale claims that the money was held in private accounts at the Reserve Bank and was unlawfully transferred into six accounts of commercial banks and individuals.
During his second visit to Nelson Mandela Bay in just two weeks, Kodwa told SABC that there was no basis in the claims made by Sexwale as he had no information. He added that Sexwale could have been an easy target for scammers.
“I think the actions and utterances of Mr Sexwale may be due to his exposure to a very sophisticated network of scammers and information paddlers and he may be as a consequence of that, exposed himself as an instrument of those groupings inadvertently and it’s a matter for him to consider because over a period of time since 2014 to 2016, as the state security has been investigating a number of scams and individuals who claim to want to do business with the government of South Africa.”
Zizi Kodwa drums up support in Gqeberha, speaks about Tokoyo Sexwale’s allegations:
Kodwa also used the opportunity to emphasise the importance of discipline within the party.
“All those who affected by the step aside must follow the example and the discipline of Mr Mbeki, the discipline of President Zuma when they were recalled. If you are against their wishes but respected the national committee because we must put the ANC above our own interest. It does not mean sometimes everything individually, you may feel the organisation is incorrect but for the sake of the organisation including its unity you must accept the outcomes of the organisation.”
Hawks confirmed that an investigation is under way after Sexwale claimed that the money held in the so-called ‘White Spiritual Boy Trust Fund’ had been stolen.
He claims that the money was held in private accounts at the Reserve Bank and was unlawfully transferred into six accounts of commercial banks and individuals.
Hawks Spokesperson, Katlego Mogale says, “The Directorate of Priority Crime Investigation (DPCI) can confirm that a case of fraud, alternatively theft, was opened with regards to the so-called Heritage Fund as reported by the complainant. It is too early in the investigation to speculate as to who the role players are and it is not the norm of the DPCI to reveal names of suspects or persons of interest before allegations are properly investigated and such suspects have been court.”
Sexwale held a media briefing on Thursday to clarify his claims that the money held in the White Spiritual Boy Trust Fund was stolen.
The businessman alleges that the fund was meant to help drive infrastructure development programmes on the continent and across all Indian Ocean Island States.
Below is Tokyo Sexwale’s full briefing: