The Justice Department has confirmed that several online services have been reactivated in a safe and secure manner after the ransomware attack last month.
Department Spokesperson, Steve Mahlangu says the spread of the malware has been successfully contained and there’s little disruption of the payment of child maintenance to beneficiaries.
Most of the electronic court recordings are intact.
Mahlangu says progress has also been made to restore the Integrated Case Management System and parts are already accessible at the Office of the Master of the High Court.
“More work will be done in the next few days to complete the process of bringing back online functionality in respect of Trusts, Deceased Estates and Insolvencies amongst others,” says Mahlangu.
Mahlangu says has strengthened security measures to protect sensitive personal information.
“Following finalisation of a high-level assessment in respect of the possible leak of personal information, and in line with the provisions of the Protection of Personal Information Act, the Department issued a notice on its website to its data subjects. The Department has strengthened security measures to protect sensitive personal information under its custodianship,” adds Mahlangu.
In the Twitter thread below, the department outlines progress made since the attack:
UPDATE ON PROGRESS IN RESTORING JUSTICE SERVICES FOLLOWING RANSOMWARE ATTACK
The Department of Justice and Constitutional Development has made strides in recovering from the ransomware attack that occurred in September 2021.
— The DoJ & CD (@DOJCD_ZA) October 10, 2021