Basic Education Minister Angie Motshekga has dispatched a team of senior managers to support the KwaZulu-Natal Education Department to conduct an assessment of the damage caused by the recent floods.
A least 306 people have so far lost their lives in the province. Of these, the department says it has lost 18 learners and one educator. Over 240 schools are reported to have suffered damages.
Basic Education Department spokesperson Elijah Mhlanga says, “Minister Motshekga has passed her condolences to the families of the 18 learners and 1 educator that have lost their lives in the floods. 248 schools have been damaged. The Minister has sent a team of senior managers there. There are many things that need to be done. The Minister herself will be going to the province to meet with the MEC to see what can be done to support the affected schools to recover from the loss that has taken place.”
KZN MECs dispatched to affected areas
All MECs have been dispatched to all districts affected by the heavy rains in KwaZulu-Natal.
On Wednesday, President Cyril Ramaphosa who also visited the province authorised the request by the provincial government to declare a state of disaster.
The deadly damage caused by severe storms throughout the province has left many communities stranded and many without water or electricity. The most affected and with the highest deaths are areas in Ethekwini and ILembe.
— MaMthiyane (@skhangiwem) April 14, 2022
Over 300 people are said to have lost their lives in the floods that wreaked havoc across the province.
As mop-up operations commence today, it is feared that the death toll might increase.
The provincial government is also mobilising resources to speed up the recovery of missing people.
The profiling of all affected families to quantify the damage to each and to ensure immediate support is also continuing.
Eskom and Municipalities are to give a report on efforts to restore water and electricity in all affected areas.
VIDEO: KZN Floods – Latest update with Nozintombi Miya