Security has been beefed up on various MyCiti bus routes in Cape Town following recent attacks. Two MyCiti buses were set alight this week, one in Milnerton on Tuesday and another in Khayelitsha on Wednesday.
Last month, a MyCiti bus was stoned and petrol bombed, also in Khayelitsha.
MyCiti bus drivers have been on a wildcat strike for the past two weeks, demanding better working conditions.
In Khayelitsha, buses are being escorted out of the area on Friday by Metro police patrols, to the nearby N2 highway.
The City of Cape Town says it is investigating the recent attacks on the three MyCiti buses. The City’s JP Smith, says the local authority has now diverted police resources to protect the public transport buses.
“Numerous traffic and law enforcement resources are now doing these escorts, which is a pity because that takes them away from other enforcement services. It’s difficult to understand why anybody would attack an amenity that is used by vulnerable and poor people to commute. It’s a senseless attack and it’s difficult to understand who is driving it. There is a reward applicable for anybody with information that helps us hold accountable those persons who have been responsible for destroying the buses.”
For more, watch related video below: