South Africa’s first confirmed coronavirus patient is in a stable condition and is reported to be feeling better.

The 38-year-old man from KwaZulu-Natal consulted a doctor on Tuesday with flu-like symptoms after returning from Italy over the weekend.

The diagnosis was confirmed on Thursday and the patient is in quarantine in Grey’s Hospital in Pietermaritzburg.

The 18 people who came into contact with him are being monitored for symptoms of the virus.

General Manager of Emergency, Trauma, Transplant and Corporate Social Investment at Netcare, Mande Toubkin, says South Africans need not panic as the government has been readying itself for a possible outbreak.

Toubkin says if anyone has concerns they should call the 24-hour hotline on 0800 029 999 with any questions or symptoms related to the coronavirus.

In this video, SA’s first confirmed coronavirus patient is in a stable condition

Confirmed cases in Africa

So far, several countries including Nigeria, Senegal, Cameroon and South Africa have all reported cases of the COVID-19 infection in the African continent. The outbreak has killed more than 3400 people worldwide and spread across more than 90 countries.

Safety measures to reduce the chances of contracting the coronavirus:

Reduce your risk of coronavirus.