Health Minister Zweli Mkhize has announced that another seven deaths from coronavirus have been confirmed, bringing the total number of deaths to 34.
Mkhize was briefing the media in Johannesburg.
Watch briefing below:
He says most of those who died had underlying health conditions and were older than 50.
Mkhize says the sudden increase in deaths is because authorities had to verify fatalities reported in the last few days.
Gauteng continues to be worst affected with 930 cases, followed by the Western Cape with 657 people testing positive for coronavirus.
Breakdown of latest COVID-19 stats below:
Mkhize has urged people to continue to stay at home, saying that people congregating in groups threaten to undermine the success achieved so far during the lockdown.
Media Release: The total number of tests conducted is 90 515 pic.twitter.com/eGzlr4jew6
— Dr Zweli Mkhize (@DrZweliMkhize) April 15, 2020
Football clubs contribute essential supplies
Meanwhile, football clubs Orlando Pirates and Kaizer Chiefs have announced a joint contribution of essential supplies with MultiChoice to help government fight the spread of the coronavirus.
Minister Mkhize has welcomed the announcement from the sporting fraternity, saying the gesture shows the importance of unity in the fight against the coronavirus.
” It is a very important gesture for the chairpersons of the football clubs who are highly supported amongst our community to step up and provide leadership, leadership that sends a message to our people that this issue is no longer about government, it’s no longer about health professionals; it’s about everyone of us. We need all leaders to step up to the fore and give a message that says to our people we need everyone to take action in the fight against this pandemic.”
Below is a Live Tracking of the cases, death toll and other information, updated daily: