The South African National Defence Force (SANDF) says it will co-operate with a police investigation into the incident in Alexandra in which a family has laid murder charge. Gauteng police have launched an investigation into the death of a man on Friday.
The family of the deceased says the 40-year-old man died following an assault at the hands of members of the National Defence Force. The family says they were having a drink with neighbours inside their yard when the incident occurred.
SANDF says in a statement that its members are expected to act within the law to enforce the coronavirus lockdown. It says any action outside the law will not be condoned.
A person died at the hands of our Army in JHB Alexandra Township.
This is unacceptable. It seems that the SANDF is on it's own mission, not that set by the President @CyrilRamaphosa
We refuse to fall victims of the SANDF.
Troops should be called into order!#Condolences
— Blessings Ramoba (@BlessingsRamoba) April 12, 2020
Sad to report the passing is Collins Khosa from Alexandra, Far east bank, 3885 moeketsi street. at the hands of our SANDF
Our military again? pic.twitter.com/B0HsAOE642
— Madzenga (@NMadzenga) April 11, 2020
‘SANDF using excessive force’
There have been reports of alleged brutality by some SANDF and SAPS members who have been deployed to enforce compliance to the national lockdown.
Last month, Police Minister, Bheki Cele, said his department is investigating 26 cases related to police brutality across the country.
An Ekurhuleni Metro Police officer was arrested in Gauteng, in connection with an alleged fatal shooting of a man at Vosloorus township, east of the Johannesburg.
The graph below provides details of how you can report brutality against security personnel: