The Communication Workers Union (CWU) and Broadcasting Electronic Media and Allied Workers Union (BEMAWU) are planning to embark on a lunchtime picket this Friday at all the public broadcaster’s offices nationwide.
This is in protest against the public broadcaster’s intention to retrench almost a thousand permanent workers as well as 1, 200 freelancer as part of its cost-cutting measures.
The South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) management says while it respects the rights of workers to picket and protest, they view the planned action as being unprotected.
The Employer has urged CWU and BEMAWU to restrain from any acts of misconduct and not to engage in any unlawful actions.
Earlier this week, SABC Group Executive of Human Resources, Jonathan Thekiso, warned against the protest.
“Our view is that they should perhaps desist from going ahead with the shutdown because unfortunately if they do that the organisation does not want to find itself in a very difficult position to look at legal recourse,” says Thekiso.
Click link for more