Statistics South Africa’s latest mid-year population estimates for 2019, released on Monday, has revealed that the nation has grown to 58,78 million people, up from 57,73 in 2018.

According to the report, there are more females than males in South Africa in 2019. Of the total population, females account for 51% of the population (30.1M) and males the remaining 49% or 28.7M.

“Gauteng continues to record the largest share of South Africa’s population, with approximately 15,2 million people (25,8%) living in this province. The second largest population with approximately 11,3 million people has been recorded in KwaZulu-Natal. Northern Cape maintained its status as the province with the lowest population in the country with a population estimated at 1,26 million people,” the report states, while Gauteng and Western Cape are estimated to experience the largest inflow of migrants of approximately, 1 643 590 and 493 621 respectively for the period 2016–2021.

In terms of ages:

  • 28,8% of the population is aged younger than 15 years
  • Approximately 9,0% (5,3 million) is 60 years or older
  • The proportion of elderly persons aged 60 and older is increasing over time

The life expectancy at birth for 2019, for males and females, is estimated at 61,5 years and 67,7 years respectively.

In 2019, the of infant mortality is estimated at 22,1 deaths per 1 000 live births.

Access the full report here.