Early results released by the Independent Electorate Commission (IEC) from the first 17 voting districts to complete their vote counts show the ANC securing an early lead in the race for votes, but the DA, EFF and Freedom Front Plus showing support across regions in the Eastern Cape, Free State and Northern Cape. Results released just more than 2 hours after the polls closed at 9pm on Monday evening showed that with less than 1% of the vote count completed, the ANC was at 49%, while the DA was at 29%, and both the EFF and the Freedom Front+ having secured around 8% of the votes at voting district level. The results reflect only the votes counted in 17 of the 23 148 voting districts and the results are likely to change as more results come in overnight.
Results from first 17 voting districts show early support for ANC and main parties
- High waves and rough water conditions force beach closures in the Western Cape
- Prince Mangosuthu Buthelezi to rest in the town he built and nurtured
- NSPCA files criminal case against Julius Malema for alleged animal cruelty
- Snow, heavy rainfall expected in parts of KZN: SAWS
- Cold-front sweeps across SA bringing snow and chilly temperatures