The Gugulethu Development Forum (GDF) has called for immediate intervention by the Minister of Police, Bheki Cele, to look into killings in the area.

On Wednesday,  seven people were gunned down in NY 79, on the Cape Flats. Five people died on the scene and two others in hospital.

Reports indicate that the victims were attending a traditional ceremony at the time of the shooting.

A manhunt has been launched for the gunmen. The GDF has condemned the incident.

Spokesperson Lumkile Mzukwa says they are tired of living in fear in the community. He has appealed to authorities to urgently bring the culprits to book.

72 Activation Plan

The police in the Western Cape say they have instituted the 72 Activation Plan for the mobilisation of resources in search of gunmen.

“Organised crime detectives are probing the seven murders. Anyone with information that could assist the investigation is urged to contact the police on 08600 10111. The identities and ages of the deceased persons will be released once their next of kin are informed,” say the police in a statement.

The motive for the shooting incident is yet to be determined.

Western Cape Acting Provincial Commissioner, Major General Thembisile Patekile, says police teams are already pursuing several leads.

“The teams will work through the night conducting tracing operations”, says Major General Patekile.

The area is notorious for shootings.

VIDEO: Last year, seven people were also killed by an unknown group in the township: