Bruce Nimmerhoudt, one of the alleged instigators of the violent unrest that took place in parts of Gauteng and KwaZulu-Natal earlier this month, has been released on bail by the Roodepoort Magistrates’ Court, west of Johannesburg.
Nimmerhoudt, who is a mayoral candidate for the Patriotic Alliance (PA) in the West Rand municipality, was arrested on the 16th of July in Witpoortjie, following a voice note that was circulated on social media platforms, wherein a male person could be heard inciting members of society in and around Krugersdorp, Randfontein and Roodepoort to commit acts of public violence.
Nimmerhoudt was arrested on Friday, 16 July,the day after the voicenote was widely circulated on social media on Gauteng’s West Rand. On Monday, the 45-year old told the court that it’s not his voice. Attached is what he said after the clip was played in court #SAUnrest #SABCNews pic.twitter.com/YJLAFDOxD8
— Maageketla (@MaageMohlabe) July 30, 2021
He has been charged with incitement to commit public violence and terrorism. After spending almost 2 weeks behind bars, Nimmerhoudt returns home to his family after being released on bail on Friday.
He was granted bail of R3 000 after the court ruled that it would not be in the interest of justice to keep him behind bars. As part of his bail conditions, Nimmerhoudt won’t be allowed to leave Gauteng until the conclusion of his case.
A large group of members from the PA gathered outside the court to show support to Nimmerhoudt.
His case will resume on the 4th of August.
Bruce Nimmerhoudt told the Roodepoort Magistrate’s Court, west of Johannesburg, that he and his party, the Patriotic Alliance mobilised the community where he lives to refrain from taking part in looting and the destruction of property. #SAUnresthttps://t.co/nqU6b7JoTc
— SABC News (@SABCNews) July 26, 2021