Parliament is to hold a probe into the violent unrest, vandalism and looting which left over 300 people dead in KwaZulu-Natal and Gauteng.

Government is yet to give clarity on the people and reasons behind the public unrest despite President Cyril Ramaphosa’s suggestion that it was an insurrection.

In his weekly letter on Monday, Ramaphosa said there is still much to unearth about the events that took place over the course of the last two weeks.

National Assembly House Chairperson responsible for Committees, Cedric Frolick, says the probe will start as soon as possible.

“The visit by the parliamentary committees in KwaZulu-Natal and Gauteng last week raised more questions than answers after seeing the devastation that was caused by the looting and the rioting that took place. Absolute mayhem of property being destroyed and lives lost. It became clear to us that we require more information,” he says.

“We have come to the conclusion that it will be important for a joint … to convene a committee of police as well as the committee in the [National] Council of Provinces to start digging a little bit deeper to find out why are we still sitting with unexplained questions. It can be done in a relatively short space of time so that when P0arliament reconvenes on the 18th of August there should be an interim [report] available from all these different committees,” adds Frolick.

Below is National Assembly House Chairperson responsible for Committees Cedric Frolick’s full interview on Morning Live: