Parliament’s Portfolio Committee on Defence and Military Veterans has condemned alleged use of excessive force by the South African National Defence Force (SANDF) in ensuring the public’s adherence to lockdown regulations.
Chairperson Cyril Xaba says the acts that the media and members of the public have exposed are disheartening.
Xaba says the military’s use of excessive force is deplorable.
He says while the committee is in full support of the deployment of the army to assist police, these actions undermine the dignity of the citizens.
Xaba appealed to those responsible for behaving in an unbecoming way to conduct themselves in a manner befitting to their stature and consistent with their Constitutional obligations.
He also appealed to citizens to adhere to regulations, not to resist arrest and to report abuse of civil rights.
Alleged brutality leads to death of a man in Alexandra
A 40-year-old man from Alexandra, north of Johannesburg died last week after he was allegedly assaulted by members of the SANDF.
— Mastermind (@siyahebe_hebe) April 12, 2020
The man’s wife claims they were beaten by soldiers who were patrolling and enforcing lockdown restrictions in the area.
Advocate Tembeka Ngcukaitobi has since offered his legal services to the family.
The video below contains more details:
Some members of the public have also taken to Social Media to express their frustrations over alleged acts of abuse by members of the SANDF:
— His Excellency (@eemz_em) April 12, 2020
— Velile_Mabu🇿🇦 (@VelileMabu) April 12, 2020
Defence Minister condemns alleged brutality
Defence Minister Nosiviwe Mapisa-Nqakula has since condemned alleged brutality by some members of the SANDF.
In the video below, Mapisa-Nqakula says such conduct cannot be condoned:
-Additional reporting by SABC Digital News