The owner of the Kenyan school where eight children died and 64 others were injured on Monday when their classrooms collapsed will appear in court on Friday. Moses Wainana was arrested on Thursday. It is not clear what charges he faces.
Wainaina’s arrest came soon after the government shut down the school and directed that the pupils be transferred to neighbouring schools.
On Monday, Kenya’s Education Cabinet Secretary Professor George Magoha seemed to shift blame over the accident on Wainana. He said the tragedy would have been avoided if the building regulations had been followed.
Magoha said the owners of the school constructed an additional floor to the single-storey building without seeking approval from the country’s construction authorities. The school was closed on Monday to allow police to carry out investigations.