The KwaZulu-Natal Department of Education says the latest reports indicate that there are now over 600 schools that have been damaged by last week’s floods. The damage is estimated to be over R400-million.
Mobile classrooms are being dispatched to affected schools.
In some communities, classrooms are being used as shelters for displaced people.
“The latest update is that there are 660 schools, the schools that are not accessible the number has increased from 17 to 102, which the estimated damage in terms of rands and cents is in the tune of R442-million. We are in our discussions, we have started to engage issues of curriculum coverage as to how teaching and learning is going to take place more especially in the 102 schools,” says department spokesperson Muzi Mahlambi.
Hundreds of schools damaged and 17 inaccessible after floods:
Mahlambi says they are looking at temporary measures to accommodate learners with schools expected to re-open on Tuesday.
“We are looking at a multifaceted kind of approach, one of the issues is will be temporary to accommodate them to other nearby neighbouring schools. We are also looking into the implications of that with psychological social issues of learners. Having to move to another environment as a learner at this point in time and as to how we are going to be deploying educators and what happens to educators that will not be able to access the schools,” says Mahlambi.
KZN Floods | Provincial Education Department counts the cost of damages