A Northern Cape couple arrested in connection with the death of a man who allegedly broke into their home has been remanded in custody until their next court appearance on Thursday.
The two accused, Perseverance Korsten and Vincent Hufkie appeared in the Jan Kempdorp Magistrate’s Court today for a formal bail application and pleaded not guilty to the charges of murder.
The couple was arrested last week after the victim died from injuries he suffered, after allegedly being assaulted by the couple. The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) in the Northern Cape says the prosecution will oppose bail based on the seriousness of the charges.
“The couple successfully tracked him to another house where they found him asleep, and upon finding him they started to assault him. The victim was then dragged from the house, put into the accused’s car, and drove with him to their residence. The suspects continued to assault the deceased even when he lost consciousness. An ambulance was then called when it was realised that the victim was unresponsive. He was then taken to the hospital where he succumbed to his injuries,” says NPA spokesperson Mojalefa Senokoatsane.