Mahumapelo says he received information about the alleged plan on Saturday.
His office says hitmen had already allegedly been paid R250 000 upfront. ANC provincial spokesperson Gerald Modise says they hope a police investigation will uncover who’s behind the alleged plot.
“We are very very much shocked and disturbed by the plot to assassinate our provincial chairperson, who is also our premier, comrade Supra Mahumapelo – on the basis that people still feel that he’s a stumbling block in all the challenges that we have experienced currently in our province. But we have engaged with him to open a case, which he has done, and we hope police will arrest all the implicated individuals on this particular case of the plot to assassinate him.”