[Editorial Note: previously the story had stated that Multichoice and Somizi had parted ways. It has now been corrected to state the two parties mutually agreed that Mhlongo will take some time off to deal with the allegations.]
Satellite television service MultiChoice says it has mutually with Idols SA Judge Somizi Mhlongo that he should “take some time off” following serious allegations of violent physical abuse against his estranged husband Mohale Motaung.
In a statement, MultiChoice says since episodes are pre-recorded, viewers will still see Mhlongo until the 22nd of August, after which he will not be seen on the 17th season of Idols SA.
On Sunday, in an explosive audio interview obtained by Sunday World, Motaung made allegations of physical abuse against Mhlongo, dating back three weeks into their relationship.
The couple had a traditional wedding in 2019, followed by a fairytale white wedding in 2020, however, a few months later, reports of trouble in paradise started to circulate.
RADIO: Somizi off Metro FM
According to the SABC,
“@METROFMSA management met with Mr. Somizi Mhlongo and he has requested to take some time off from work.”
He was granted permission to do so.#KgopoloReports pic.twitter.com/40Dh4TBj0l
— Kgopolo (@PhilMphela) August 4, 2021
Earlier this week the SABC also announced that media personality is stepping away from the Metro FM mic amid the allegations.
On Friday, Mhlongo took to social media to announce that his legal team is taking steps to address the allegations. He has pleaded with the public to allow him space and privacy to deal with this matter.
Somizi’s latest post on Instagram ?#Somizi pic.twitter.com/YTjhnPMGfz
— ツ Ø ͏ Ʀ ͏ ł ™ ͏ ͏ ❼ (@Ori_Debig_Beats) August 6, 2021