Minister of Basic Education, Angie Motshekga, is expected to address the media at 4pm on Sunday on schools’ readiness to reopen.
While Western Cape schools reopened last Monday for Grade 7s and 12s, learners in other provinces are expected to go back to class this coming Monday.
The department initially announced that all Grade 7 and 12 learners could go back to classrooms on the 1st of June but called it off last Sunday night after conceding that all schools were not equipped to safely reopen in the light of the coronavirus pandemic.
The proposed reopening has been met with concerns from teachers’ unions regarding the readiness of schools to keep learners safe against the virus.
Motshekga says it is the responsibility of provincial governments across the country to obtain Personal Protective Equipment (PPEs) and meet health standards in order for learners to return to school next week.
In this video, water tanks are set to be delivered to various Eastern Cape schools ahead of reopening
Motshekga says home schooling is an alternative
Last week, Motshekga urged parents and guardians who are anxious about their children returning to school amid the coronavirus pandemic, to apply for home schooling.
“There have been questions about parents who still feel anxious about sending their kids to school because they are not very sure about their safety. A parent who chooses not to send their children to school must apply to the head of the provincial education department, who in terms of the SA School Act, can exempt a learner entirely, partially, or conditionally from compulsory attendance,” said Motshekga.
INFOGRAPHIC: COVID-19 back-to-school plan