Moti brothers kidnapping investigation continues despite lack of cooperation from family

Reading Time: 2 minutes
Police say the investigation into the kidnapping of four Moti brothers in Polokwane, Limpopo is continuing despite lack of cooperation from the family.
The brothers, aged between seven and 15, were on their way to school when a group of armed men forcefully removed them from the car they were travelling in and left their driver behind in October last year.
They were then released by kidnappers after three weeks and reunited with their family.

Police spokesperson Robert Netshiunda says Nazir Moti interdicted investigating officers from interviewing his sons after they were released. As a result, police did not take statements from Zia aged 15, and his brothers Alaan 13, Zayyad 11 and seven-year-old Zidan.

Netshiunda says the Moti family has not been cooperating with police since the four brothers were found. He says the Moti family has since relocated from Nirvana in Polokwane to Dubai.

“Police investigations into the case involving the four Moti brothers are continuing despite the fact that the process has been destabilized by non-cooperation from the family since the children were found last year. Our investigators were prevented from obtaining a statement from the victims with the father of the victims opting to obtain the interdict against the police. It was very important for the police to interview the victims so that we could establish a lead which could probably lead us to the arrest of the perpetrators. We have since received the report that the family has moved to Dubai.”

The children were found in Vuwani outside Thohoyandou in November after they were dropped off by kidnappers.

The family released a statement thanking the public for support and appealing for privacy.  The family said the experience traumatized the boys and they wanted them to recover in private.
There was also no official confirmation of a ransom for the release of the children.