Most political parties have welcomed the Constitutional Court ruling that elections should go ahead as planned between October the 27th and the 1st of November.

The Independent Electoral Commission (IEC) has lost in its application to have the elections postponed after relying on former deputy Chief Justice Dikgang Moseneke’s report, which said elections won’t be free and fair under the current COVID-19 climate.

The IEC says that it notes the order handed down and will prepare for an election to be held on November 1st.

In a statement, released earlier on Friday evening the Commission says it will meet over the weekend to chart a way forward.

IEC full statement:

Democratic Alliance (DA) leader, John Steenhuisen says political parties must adapt to the new normal and must continue with the elections.

Speaking to the SABC Steenhuisen says they welcome the ruling: 3 September 2021

The traditional leaders organisation, Contralesa, has also welcomed the judgment.

Contralesa president, Kgosi Larmeck Mokoena has urged all South Africans to respect and embrace the country’s highest court ruling.

Mokoena says political parties and the IEC must ensure that people follow all the stipulated COVID-19 regulations on voting day.

“We respect the judgment because we are a constitutional state. Political parties are now having a serious task of starting to interact with their members to educate them on how to deal with COVID-19. We call upon the IEC as well to try in all their power to conduct workshops on this pandemic so that when people and parties go for this elections they respect all the stated regulations of COVID-19.”

The Inkatha Freedom Party (IFP) says it is ready for the elections and will soon roll out its campaign in adherence with the COVID-19 protocols.

IFP spokesperson Mkhuleko Hlengwa says they have submitted their list and are now ready.

FFPlus welcomes green light on October polls: