Gauteng Premier David Makhura says more healthcare workers are needed in the province. Makhura says all health care personnel from the now closed Charlotte Maxeke Johannesburg Hospital, have been deployed to different health facilities across the province.

He says over 5 000 additional health care workers have been contracted to help deal with COVID-19. The province is under increased pressure with COVID infections and hospital admissions rising rapidly. Makhura was speaking at the Chris Hani Baragwanath hospital in Soweto on Monday, where he welcomed military medics deployed to assist at Gauteng hospitals.

“We can do with more health care workers in our facilities across the province. Unfortunately, Charlotte Maxeke is not operating but all the staff from there are already deployed in the different health care facilities in Gauteng. They followed their patients. There are no staff that are waiting who are not doing anything. They are in the various facilities.”

Makhura says Gauteng is on fire when it comes to COVID-19 infections and has appealed to people to take the lockdown regulations seriously.

“This place is burning with coronavirus and our message is very very clear that everywhere around the province there is no exception the test positivity rate is extremely high now, we want to say to people that the chances of getting infected are extremely high wherever you are.”

Media briefing on arrival of SANDF members:

Gauteng COVID-19 deaths have increased 80% week on week

Senior Researcher at the CSIR, Dr. Ridhwaan Suliman, says the number of people dying from COVID-19 in Gauteng has increased 80% week on week, and the situation in the province is of major concern.

Dr. Suliman says more than 5 100 people are being treated in hospital for COVID-19 in Gauteng alone and the province could still face even greater pressure as the third wave intensifies.

Gauteng is the province hardest hit by the third wave and accounts for around two-thirds of new infections.

Unpacking increasing COVID-19 cases in Gauteng with Prof. Bruce Mellado:

Dr. Suliman says new admissions in Gauteng hospitals last week were up by 36% compared to the previous week.

“New admissions in Gauteng were just over 3000 last week, up 36% compared to the week before. Of concern is the number of patients currently in hospitals around Gauteng due to COVID-19. There are over 5 100 patients in hospitals in Gauteng and of those, over 1 100 are in intensive care facilities.”

Latest COVID-19 cases in South Africa:

Loading...

Loading…