Non-contact sporting codes in the country will get more clarity from the Minister of Sport, Arts and Culture Nathi Mthethwa on Saturday morning on the return of sport under lockdown Level 3.
On Thursday, Minister of Corporate Governance and Traditional Affairs, Dr Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma, announced that non-contact sport would be allowed behind closed doors from June 1.
Cricket South Africa welcomed the announcement with the Proteas set to host India in three T20 Internationals in August.
The various non-contact sports federations, which include, gymnastics, swimming, golf, rowing, surfing, canoeing, cycling, cricket and tennis, had previously met to draw up risk mitigation strategies in line with government regulations. They had also appealed to be allowed to resume, arguing that the suspension of their sporting codes impacted heavily on the financial survival of the federations.
In the video below, Tennis SA says it has made an application to begin training:
The announcement to allow non-contact sport to resume is particularly good news for Cricket South Africa (CSA) as it will now probably be allowed to host India for a three-match T20 series in August.
CSA said it would be able to host matches under strict government regulations in, what it called, bio-bubbles.
“A bio-bubble would be a sanitised cricket bio-sphere with strict entry standards and limited movement and this will require testing of all those within the boundary. So basically we going to create a parameter, where people wouldn’t be allowed to leave or come in,” says CSA Medical Officer, Dr Shuaib Manjra.
The Sports Minister is expected to announce strict health and safety measures for the federations to adhere to such as no spectators, other social distancing measures and hygiene.
Only players, match officials, media, medical staff and television crew will be allowed to attend.
Horse racing is also expected to return under lockdown Level 3.