Transport Minister Fikile Mbalula will launch the COVID-19 Taxi Relief Fund to support the taxi industry on Tuesday.
Last year, the National Taxi Alliance (NTA) took the Minister and the Department to court to force the government to release the funds.
Requirements described as “harsh and unreasonable”
Spokesperson of the Codeta Taxi Association, Andile Khanyi says many operators lost their vehicles due to the delays in releasing the funds.
Addressing a media briefing on Monday, NTA General Secretary Alpheus Mlalazi described the requirements to access COVID-19 grants as “harsh and unreasonable”.
“The National Taxi Alliance is excited to announce that after fighting a tough battle with the Minister of Transport and the Department to remove the harsh and unreasonable requirements government had put in place as a prerequisite for taxi operators to access the COVID-19 Relief Fund,” says Mlalazi.
“The requirements were far from the intended objectives of the fund. Which in the main are to mitigate the human tragedy that has fallen on the taxi industry. Caused by the devastating effects of the COVID-19 pandemic,” says Malaza.
On Monday, National Taxi Alliance discussed issues of contention between the NTA and the Department of Transport.
National Taxi Alliance discuss issues of contention between the NTA and the Department of Transport
In May 2021, angry taxi drivers in Gqeberha protested over unpaid COVID-19 relief funds.
Angry taxi drivers in Gqeberha protest over unpaid COVID-19 relief funds