The Department of Basic Education says it will comply with the court order for the publication of matric results on Thursday.
The North Gauteng High Court in Pretoria has reversed the department’s decision not to publish the National Senior Certificate results in the media.
Lobby group AfriForum, Maroela Media and a 2021 matriculant Anlé Spies – served court papers on Minister Angie Motshekga last week.
The group fought for matric results to be released on media platforms as was the case in the past.
Matric 2021 | DBE relieved with clarification by the court on publishing results: Elijah Mhlanga
Department Spokesperson, Elijah Mhlanga, says they are satisfied that the court has cleared the matter.
“The court is clear that we need to continue in the same way we have been using in the past 6 or 7 years of using examination numbers and we will be doing exactly that. So the system is ready, what we need to do now is to communicate with our media partners and tell them that the same old format which we used to make results available to them will be applicable this time as well,” adds Mhlanga.
Matric results will be released on Thursday this week.
AfriForum CEO Kallie Kriel says this is a victory for all involved especially last year’s matriculants.
“We are elated not simply because it is a victory for AfriForum and the other applicants, but we believe it is a victory for all people in the country and various stakeholders. If we take for instance young people this is a victory for young people especially the matrics of last year.”
“Many of them worked very hard to make sure that they get good results and those results should not be put under the carpet. We should celebrate with them,” explains Kriel.
In the video below, AfriForum reacts to the court decision: