A man accused of killing seven women has abandoned his bail application in the Seshego Magistrate’s Court near Polokwane in Limpopo.
This after the bodies of women were found dumped in different locations in and around Polokwane.
Dube had allegedly been using the phone of one of his victims to demand ransom from one of the families. He will appear in court again on the 27th of January next year.
He’s been remanded in custody.
Minister in the Presidency for Women, Youth and People with Disabilities, Maite Nkoana-Mashabane, who was in court, has expressed concerns about the killing of women.
“He has killed so many number (sic) of women for doing absolutely nothing. We think women have said they’ve had enough of such problems countrywide and worldwide there’s a cry of gender-based violence with us and femicide. So, the likes of Themba make us think of the pain that women are going through.”
Police said on Sunday the suspect had earlier been arrested for the alleged possession of a suspected stolen cellphone, but further investigations revealed the murders.
The bodies were found dumped in the bush.
Brigadier Motlafela Mojapelo says, “We can confirm that seven bodies have already been recovered from different locations under Seshego, Polokwane and western policing areas. The suspect is being charged with murder, rape, defeating the ends of justice and robbery.”
The bereaved Mothiba family at Ga-Chuene village is one of the seven families which lost loved ones allegedly at the hands of the suspect.
The family says 42-year-old Sarah Mothiba was last seen leaving home for work in Polokwane on the 18th of last month.