• News
  • Sport
  • TV
  • Radio
  • Education
  • TV Licences
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • SOUTH AFRICA
  • POLITICS
  • BUSINESS
  • SPORT
  • AFRICA
  • WORLD
  • SCI-TECH
  • LIFESTYLE
  • FEATURES
  • OPINION
Home Politics

Madonsela says government should adapt regulations to the South African context

4 June 2020, 6:13 PM  |
SABC SABC |  @SABCNews
Thuli Madonsela says President Emmerson Mnangagwa needs to explain his government's actions to regional leaders.

Thuli Madonsela says President Emmerson Mnangagwa needs to explain his government's actions to regional leaders.

Image: SABC News

Thuli Madonsela says President Emmerson Mnangagwa needs to explain his government's actions to regional leaders.

Former Public Protector Thuli Madonsela says government risks reversing major gains against the coronavirus outbreak through the implementation of often unreasonable regulations.

She was commenting on a recent High Court judgment that declared lockdown regulations under Level 3 and 4 unconstitutional and invalid.

Madonsela says while the judgment is problematic, the government should adapt the regulations to the South African context.

“I think the president was wrongly advised with the strategy that says people who need something they should apply. The databases on poverty should have been the starting point. In other words, we should have been proactive in looking at areas that were already red spots for poverty, child-headed households. I’m just saying you are borrowing a solution from China or some developed country and you are applying it in a developing country.”

President Cyril Ramaphosa and Health Minister Zweli Mkhize will add their voices to Cabinet’s defence of Alert Levels 3 and 4 lockdown regulations, which the High Court in Pretoria had earlier declared unconstitutional and invalid.

Co-operative Governance and Traditional Affairs, Nkosazana Dlamini Zuma, will seek leave to urgently appeal Tuesday’s court ruling which an organisation called Liberty Fighters’ Network had brought against Cabinet.

The court suspended the judgment for 14 days to allow Cabinet to amend the regulations and republish them.

Share article
Tags: CoronavirusLockdownThuli MadonselaPublic Protector
Previous Post

FEATURE | Debunking myths on COVID-19 with Professor Shabir Madhi

Next Post

Kenya private sector up slightly in May, outlook poor: PMI

Related Posts

DA leader John Steenhuisen.

Zille, Steenhuisen to join DA’s Joburg caucus meeting

2 February 2023, 8:36 AM
Smoke rises from the Duvha coal-based power station owned by state power utility Eskom, in Emalahleni, in Mpumalanga province, South Africa, June 3, 2021.

SA energy crisis to top cabinet lekgotla agenda

2 February 2023, 5:57 AM
Police tape at a crime scene

Activists not convinced by ANC crime-free goal

1 February 2023, 6:01 PM
Former Public Protector Advocate Thuli Madonsela at an event

Madonsela questions relevance of appearing before Section 194 inquiry

1 February 2023, 1:36 PM

VIDEO: Malema legal team considers application to have magistrate recuse herself

1 February 2023, 1:16 PM
EFF Leader Julis Malema is pictured outside the East London Magistrate’s Court on 30 January 2023.

EFF welcomes court ruling against Kenny Kunene on ‘hateful’ comments against Malema

1 February 2023, 9:04 AM
Next Post
Coca Cola plastic bottles seen on the production line of the Coca Cola factory in Nairobi, Kenya, June 7, 2018.

Kenya private sector up slightly in May, outlook poor: PMI

Most Viewed

  • 24hrs
  • Week
  • Month
  • Gas leak shut, isolated in Pretoria North
  • Registration at Unisa closes on Friday, but management says no need to panic
  • King of Bacardi music ‘Vusi Ma R5’ killed in Soshanguve
  • Committee wants to halt planned demolition of North West hospital
  • Bapedi kingdom commemorates Kgosi Mampuru II, still hoping to find his remains
  • Parts of the Northern Cape to be exempted from rolling blackouts
  • VIDEO | St Benedict College’s Matric learner gets 11 distinctions
  • Limpopo matriculant from child-headed household attains diploma pass
  • Female circumcision practice thriving in Eastern Cape
  • Premier denies claims that KZN government spent millions on Mampintsha’s funeral
  • Shock over proposed SA sponsorship of Tottenham Hotspur
  • Three suspects killed, two wounded in a shooting on R21 Highway in Ekurhuleni
  • Madonsela questions relevance of appearing before Section 194 inquiry
  • Manhunt for 20 suspects in KwaMashu shooting
  • UPDATE: Four dead in KwaMashu Hostel shooting

LATEST

DA leader John Steenhuisen.
  • Politics

Zille, Steenhuisen to join DA’s Joburg caucus meeting


A customer looks over a 9mm hand gun at the Guns-R-Us gun shop in Phoenix, Arizona, US.
  • South Africa

At least 10 people killed in Bhityi area, Eastern Cape


[File Image]: Workers at the office amid the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic in Porto, Portugal, July 20, 2021.
  • Business

28 SA companies to participate in 4 Day Week pilot project


Smoke rises from the Duvha coal-based power station owned by state power utility Eskom, in Emalahleni, in Mpumalanga province, South Africa, June 3, 2021.
  • Politics

SA energy crisis to top cabinet lekgotla agenda


People collecting water from one of the Water tankers.
  • South Africa

Joburg water making progress with restoration process


Cars seen in a showroom
  • Business

Vehicle production not spared by load shedding


Weather

  • About the SABC
  • Contact Us
  • Jobs
  • Advertise
  • Disclaimer
  • Site Map

SABC © 2023

No Result
View All Result
  • SOUTH AFRICA
  • POLITICS
  • BUSINESS
  • SPORT
  • AFRICA
  • WORLD
  • SCI-TECH
  • LIFESTYLE
  • FEATURES
  • OPINION

© 2022

Previous FEATURE | Debunking myths on COVID-19 with Professor Shabir Madhi
Next Kenya private sector up slightly in May, outlook poor: PMI