President Cyril Ramaphosa declared Nelson Mandela Bay Metro as a coronavirus hotspot during his address to the nation on Thursday.
This is given to the number of new COVID-19 cases per day, the testing rate within the population, the percentage positivity rate within the population, the number of active cases, the number of hospital admissions and the number of deaths.
In addition to the existing lockdown Level 1 regulations, the following additional restrictions came into effect in the metro from Friday midnight:
- The hours of the curfew will be from 10pm and 4am.
- The sale of alcohol from retail outlets will only be permitted between 10am and 6pm from Monday to Thursday.
- Alcohol consumption in public spaces, such as beaches and parks, is strictly forbidden.
- Gatherings may not be attended by more than 100 people for indoor events and 250 for outdoor events.
- The total number of people in a venue may not exceed more than 50% of the capacity of the venue at all times.
- All post-funeral gatherings are prohibited.