KwaZulu-Natal Premier Sihle Zikalala, will on Sunday provide an update on the latest developments concerning COVID-19 as the province is experiencing an exponential increase in the rate of infections.
Zikalala will also give details about progress in the COVID-19 vaccination roll-out in the province.
In the video below the KZN government speaks to SABC News about the increase in COVID-19 numbers:
He is further to address the media about the meeting he had earlier this week in Gauteng with trade ambassadors and delegations from over 40 countries in a bid to allay fears after the looting and violence a month ago.
More than 200 shopping malls were looted in the province and an estimated two billion rand in property was lost during the unrest.
The KwaZulu-Natal government believes that the recent unrest is to blame for the increase in COVID-19 infections.
However, experts said infections in the province showed an increase before the unrest.
Health MEC Nomagugu Simelane said they are concerned that the province has surpassed Gauteng with over 2000 daily infections.
Simelane said the recent unrests could have contributed to the rising numbers, she added that the province has not yet reached its third wave.
“The issue of clusters and super spreader events are some things that will affect our infections as a province. As you would know in the past two weeks or so we had unrest in the province and we really were not able to determine the extent that those unrests had affected our people.