The Department of Education in KwaZulu-Natal (KZN) says while some schools have not been affected by the heavy rains, access to them remains a challenge.
So far, at least 59 people have died from this week’s flash floods.
Spokesperson for the Provincial Education Department Muzi Mahlambi says, “Due to inclement weather conditions the Department of Education in KZN advises teachers, parents, and caregivers to use their discretion whether or not to send their children to school and for educators, whether it is safe to do so. The Department will monitor the weather patterns and give further advises. What we have observed is that whilst some other schools are not storm-damaged but access to the schools is still a problem.”
eThekwini Mayor briefs the media on KZN floods:
Cogta Minister Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma has urged communities across the country to exercise caution as heavy rains continue to leave a trail of destruction in parts of KwaZulu-Natal.
Many have been left destitute as their homes have been destroyed by the flooding. The Department of Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs (Cogta) has, consequently, warned those in low-lying areas to evacuate to safer places.
Meanwhile, provincial and local disaster teams across the country are providing support to those affected. This, while the South African Weather Services has issued a warning for more rains still expected in many parts of the country.
Disaster Management teams are continuing to work around the clock to assist residents that have been trapped as a result of the inclement weather conditions which led to localised flooding of human settlements and roads across the province. pic.twitter.com/CyPoezsdKh
— KZNCOGTA (@kzncogta) April 12, 2022
⚠️MEDIA RELEASE: (12 April 2022)
Extreme rainfall and widespread flooding overnight:
KwaZulu-Natal and parts of Eastern Cape pic.twitter.com/CaaSyCsQxq
— SA Weather Service (@SAWeatherServic) April 12, 2022
— MaMthiyane (@skhangiwem) April 12, 2022