The Gauteng Education Department says the Grade 8 learner, who was allegedly kidnapped while waiting for transport at Queens High School in Johannesburg, has been found.
Spokesperson Steve Mabona says the learner was located at Maponya Mall in Soweto earlier on Wednesday.
The incident happened on Monday and it is believed his alleged kidnappers were demanding a R5-million ransom for his release.
Such needs to STOP, period
— Bernard Sithole (@BernardMSithole) February 26, 2020
Mabona says investigations around the incident are still underway…
“The circumstances surrounding this matter are still being investigated. We don’t have much details on how the learner was found but we will be getting more information from the law enforcement agencies and the family who probably are in the position to give us more details.”
In the video below President Cyril Ramaphosa says that South Africa is failing its children. He urges a culture of responsibility by adults to children.