Spain play Japan in the World Cup in Al Rayyan, Qatar on Thursday.
When: Thursday, Dec. 1, 2100 local
Where: Khalifa International Stadium, Al Rayyan
Spain win: 2/5
Japan win: 15/2
* Spain won the World Cup in 2010 – their only success to date – while Japan have never progressed beyond the first knockout round, which they have reached three times.
* Spain will advance into the next round with a draw and a win would seal top spot in Group E. Japan, who sit second, risk losing out on a place in the knockout rounds to Germany or possibly Costa Rica, unless they beat Spain.
* Spain are the top scorers so far at the 2022 World Cup with eight goals – seven of them coming in their opening match against Costa Rica.
* Japan’s Eiji Kawashima and Yuto Nagatomo are both appearing at their fourth World Cup. Yoshikatsu Kawaguchi and Seigo Narazaki were the only two Japanese players who had previously appeared at four.
* The teams have met only once before in a friendly in 2001 won by Spain 1-0.