Judgment has been reserved at the Special Tribunal Court in Gauteng in the matter between the Department of Public Works, the SIU and two construction companies.
The companies constructed the 40 kilometre fence between South Africa and Zimbabwe last year.
The fence disintegrated immediately after construction.
The SIU froze the accounts of the two construction companies after they were paid R21.8 million.
It was alleged that the tender was irregularly awarded and the construction was of poor quality.
Special Tribunal Court spokesperson Selby Makgotho says the trial was meant to continue until Friday, but was finalised in one day after some SIU witnesses pulled out fearing for their lives.
“The two constructors contended that they did the work according to the specification and that they were entitled to payment. So the main issue for the determination at the trial was the fair and equitable order.”
“Because the SIU and the department argued that the respondents are not entitled to any form of payment and this was contested and such the trial was able to be heard in one day,” he says.
Special Tribunal hearing in the Beitbridge Border Post Fence case: