Excise duties on alcohol and tobacco will increase by between 4.5 and 6.5 percent.
This was announced by Finance Minister Enoch Godongwana during his maiden Budget Speech on Wednesday in Cape Town.
The increases mean that:
- A 340ml can of beer or cider will cost 11c more
- A 750ml bottle of wine will be 17c more expensive
- A bottle of sparkling wine will cost an additional 76c
- A bottle of spirits will be R4.83 more expensive
- A packet of cigarettes will cost an additional R1.03
- 25 grams of piped tobacco will cost an extra 37c
- A 23 gram cigar will be R6.77 more expensive
The graphic below shows the increases: