The Commission of Inquiry into State Capture says it understands that the public wants it to complete its hearings and work but says an extension is needed to do it properly.

The Commission announced on Thursday morning it would be applying to the North Gauteng High Court in Pretoria for a three month extension of its deadline.

Oral evidence will be completed by the end of July, while the report will be finalised by the end of September.

The Commission was supposed to have finished oral hearings by the end of last month.

 

Deputy Chief Justice Raymond Zondo says the extension is important given that they have to hear evidence from another six implicated people including President Cyril Ramaphosa.

“But the one thing I will not do is this, I will not end the work of the Commission in an irresponsible manner. I am going to repeat that, I will not end the work of the Commission in an irresponsible manner, just because I want to satisfy those that demand that the Commission should finish its work. When [we] started at this Commission, I made it quite clear that this Commission would do its work properly. In seeking to complete hearings of oral evidence we will  act properly and in [a] responsible manner,” adds Zondo.

Today’s proceedings below: