Police say some taxi operators have opened cases of malicious damage to property after four taxis were torched and six others damaged in the Johannesburg CBD on Saturday.

The incident happened at the intersection of Von Weillig and Commissioner streets near the Carlton centre.

Gauteng Transport MEC, Jacob Mamabolo has warned that perpetrators of Saturday’s taxi violence will be dealt with decisively.

He says he’ll meet with representatives of the Witwatersrand African and the Nancefield-Dube West taxi associations on Sunday following a feud between two organisations over routes.

Meanwhile, the South African National Taxi Council (Santaco) says it will conduct its own investigations into the incident.

Video: Transport MEC Jacob Mamabolo to meet with Johannesburg taxi bodies

MEC to meet  with Associations

MEC Mamabolo will be meeting the Witwatersrand African Taxi Association (WATA) and the Nancefield Dube West Association (Nanduwe) on Sunday.

Two taxis in Soweto were also torched. It’s believed the clashes were sparked by rivalry over routes.

Last year, Mamabolo dissolved the associations’ executive committees, after rivalry claimed the lives of two people.

Taxi Violence |  Taxis set alight in Johannesburg CBD