Gauteng has added an additional 1600 beds to various hospitals in preparations for a surge in COVID-19 cases between June and September this year.

Premier David Makhura updated citizens on Thursday on the province’s fight against the coronavirus.

The province has recorded 24 deaths and more than 1500 positives cases thus far.

“We are increasing the number of beds at Chris Hani Baragwanath, in the George Mukari cluster, in Jubilee. We also go into these area’s to do flu vaccines, 253 000 immunisations have been carried out. The most terrible mistake we can make is neglect other ailments,” says Makhura.

 

Worst is yet to come

Earlier this week, President Cyril Ramaphosa told the nation that the worst is still coming in terms of the high number of COVID-19 infections.

Ramaphosa was speaking at a briefing in KwaZulu-Natal.

The President was accompanied by Health Minister Dr Zweli Mkhize and KwaZulu-Natal Premier Sihle Zikalala.

In the video below Professor Alex van den Heever from the Wits University explains the expected surge further:

COVID-19 cases in South Africa:

 South Africa now has 12074 confirmed cases of COVID-19 and the death toll is at 219.

Latest COVID-19 stats below:

 

Loading...

Loading…