The Gauteng Health Department says it will implement the recommendations contained in the Health Ombudsman’s report on the treatment and death of businessman Shonisani Lethole.

Professor Malegapuru Makgoba’s report recommended that the Gauteng Department of Health institute a disciplinary inquiry against 19 staff members, including nurses and medical doctors.

The Lethole family held an online press briefing earlier on Thursday welcoming the recommendations.

Medical negligence to blame for Shonisani Lethole’s death: Ombudsman

Before his passing, Lethole tweeted Health Minister Dr Zweli Mkhize about being starved at the facility. It was a desperate plea for help, from his hospital bed.

“The Gauteng Department of Health wishes to make it clear that the Department has not expressed any intention to challenge the report by the Health Ombud into the circumstances surrounding the care and death of Mr Shonisani Lethole. The Department remains committed to implementing the recommendations of the report within prescribes of the law. Those who have expressed intention to challenge the report will do so in their individual capacity. The MEC in Gauteng has already pronounced on the approach on the Department as it relates to the report,” says Kwara Kekana, Gauteng Health Spokesperson.

Shonisani Lethole | Health Ombud findings into patient’s death at Tembisa Tertiary Hospital